Friday 4 September 2020

Trio of Curlew Sandpipers

On Friday 4th September, after work, despite the leaden skies I was keen to see if the Curlew Sandpipers were still around at Covehithe Broad, as they were still about in the afternoon, I was hoping they might still be around in the evening. I hadn't been before as I fully expected them to be flushed off by the first fog walker going on the beach. I was hoping not to encounter any dog walkers, as I was about go down the path, some were just behind me and the dog was going loopy, obviously not liking me (which is quite common in dogs most don't like me and the feeling is mutual! I do like some dogs however, namely those that don't scare birds or go crazy when they are around me, but they tend to be in the minority though. Everybody appears to be dog crazy especially around the Lowestoft area where the craze is for owing at least 5 of them! So I hurried down to the Broad and was delighted to see a double fence including an electric fence which meant dogs and people wouldn't be disturbing the edge of the Broad (fantastic and plaudit to the warden doing an excellent job!) and sure enough there were a load of waders straight out on the far side of the Broad edge from the beach, 38 Dunlin and 3 lovely immature Curlew Sandpipers, like 3 older siblings to the Dunlins, being cleaner, leggier and more elongated shape; marked them out from the more numerous smaller Dunlin and 2 Ringed Plovers, they fed the far side then scuttles left and then flew slightly closer in the water before they ran left. They appeared to fly (showing diagnostic white rumps) a little way south and were not seen again. Meanwhile, 11 Black- tailed Godwit were on the northern part of the Broad. 3 Linnet flew out of the vegetation and a Buzzard sat in a tree near the Hare field as I drove back.

No comments: