Saturday 24 June 2023

Drake Ring- necked Duck at Carlton Marshes

Hearing the RND was back at Carlton, I divertedf from my intended destination for SSBlues and drove to carlton. Parking up as I walked down I met ali R leaving and then Andrew E but there were still 4 birders scoping Cormorant island from a 1/3 of the way down the bund. I picked up the fine male Ring- necked Duck asleep then swimming on the water showing slightly smaller size than nearby Tufties, with black bobble on its head, white/ black tipped bill and rear flanks grey looking compared to the white flank area bordering the black breast, it then swam to the water's edge and walked out on dry land showing the legs were unringed, it flapped its wings showing a full compliment of flight feathers and then settled down and fell asleep between 2 Tufted Ducks and a Little Egret was directly behind it to.

No comments: