Monday 3 October 2022

Red- throated Diver close in off Gunton Beach

On Monday 3rd October, after tweets from Alison A, James W and a phone call very gratefully received from Nick B, I was advised of a very close Red- throated Diver in summer plumage off Gunton beach, just 200 metres north off Warren House Wood, immediately after work at 5pm. I drove to Marine Parade and ran as fast as I could to the aforementioned area. I knew the light would soon be going as the nights are drawing in. I saw Nick and another chap on the beach just 200 metres north off Warren House Wood, looking at the tidelines and the surf just beyond. The wonderfully near full summer plumaged Red- throated Diver very close in on the sea regularly feeding diving regularly and swimming first left and then right between the groynes. It repeatedly followed this process and I was able to run a few metres to position myself as it dived and be in position when it eventually resurfaced. Finally, it eventually swam out to sea a little.

No comments: