Monday 24 October 2022

Ness Point Pallid Swift, a first for Lowestoft!

At teatime, a tweet from Rob Wil stating Julie had found a probable Pallid Swift had me leaping in the car at just after 5pm and within 10 minutes I was pulling into the northern end of Birds Eye car park. I saw Julie walking along the seawall and she said she had just lost it flying south just over the Bird's Eye factory. James W turned up on his bike and after 15 minutes at around 5.27pm as I was driving away, I saw Julie raise her glasses and looking over IO could see the excellent Swift flying just over Bird's Eye. Stopping the car I leapt out and we saw the bird if flew first left and then right over Bird's Eye showing a noticably small fluttering almost bat like flight, it showed more blunt tipped wings and appeared smaller than Common Swift and less scyth like wings. People started arriving Rob Wil, Andrew E, James B, Rob H, Richard S, Chris & Alison A etc. The bird then flew towards the wind turbine and then it flew towards us and directly over our heads, at one point I noticed the paler browner plumage, whitish throat area and darker 'black eye surround' it had a widish rump leading to narrow slightly notched tail, indicating to me that this was clearly a Pallid Swift and a first for Lowestoft for me. Andrew E and Rob H's photos confirmed this. Very well done to Julie, who had earlier noted scallops on the bird too. The bird then flew around the back of Bird's Eye over to the wind turbine and then again following the seawall area and again directly over our heads before it started to concentrate flying around the wind turbine where after sometime, it disappeated presumably roosting on the wind turbine at 6.14pm.

No comments: