Sunday 11 September 2022

Benacre Shrike

On Sunday 11th September, a day after I had driven back from Wales, after a very welcome call from Jane F I had great difficulty parking but decided to park in the inland "Beach" car park and walked the mile and a half walk first to the Kessingland Sluice, I met David B and his wife coming back and we had a brief chat before I joined first Jane & Paul F and Clive. We saw a Wheatear here. later James B overlooking the corner section we soon saw the fine immature Red- backed Shrike perched on top of a Hawthorn and other bushes but it was fairly distant. Being by the bushes at the rear of the Sluice scrub corner. A message saying Jake G had an Osprey flying north from benacre and James B picked it up and we saw it, a fine Osprey circling fairly distantly before it flew , Jake G and I think Ben M arrived as did Dick and I made my exit. I was walking past by the caravan park. Along Kessingland levels bushes, I saw a male Stonechat and a female Reed Bunting,I received another tweet saying 2 Ravens were circling the Shrike and heading north-east exactly where I was! So I ran made up the sandy dunes to a notable high point and saw the pair of Ravens circling and then they flew south and west. They are certainly on my Benacre list but not quite in Lizardland!

No comments: