Monday 5 September 2022

Nathusius' Pipistrelle Bat at the Paget

I really enjoy my work at the Paget, especially when I am contacted as I was today, on Monday 5th September, by my colleague & friend Clare P from the Pharmacy dept, who knows of my deep love for all wildlife, she rang me at the Library at 10.15am to say they were concerned about a Bat that was clinging to a wall (& seen 2 days running) in one of the courtyards of the Paget (between ward 15 and Pharmacy) & could I enquire with the National Bat Helpline on what we could do to help the bat and remove it safely to a more suitable place. As a Hospital courtyard wasn't a suitable place, lack of food for the bat and the danger that it could mistakenly fly into the Hospital building. I rang the National Bat Helpline and they put me in touch with a lady from Wymondham but they did add I should capture the Bat using gardening gloves (because they could carry rabies and a bite could pass this onto me!) and I was advised to wear a surgical mask because we coulkd pass on Covid-19 onto the bat & then put it into a shoebox with a tea towel and some water. Problem was I didn't have anything of these apart from a box or water. We enquired in Supplies dept (who provided a tea towel) who said check with Estates & Paul H stated I should ask in Estates store where some heavy duty gloves were issues. Armed with parcel tape and scissors I punctured the box many times for air for the bat to breathe and I walked along the northern corridor where I met Clare. The bat was clinging head down on the wall at about head height (or just under). I took some pics using a separate flash gun and adjusting the settings several times. This woke the bat up and it flew a short distance perching by the leg of a garden seat. Opening my gloved hand wide, and closing my fingers to protect the hunched wings I scooped the bat up and quickly put it in the box which was then sealed up with parcel tape sealing any gaps it could squeeze out of. By this time a small but appreciative crowd had appeared and I even got an appreciative clap at the end! I then twalked outside and then decided to release the bat in the nearest woodland, driving to Bluebell wood, just 1/4 of a mile away. Walking to the farside of the wood by the tallest trees, I opened the box to se the Bat had already spread its wings and it flew stongly up and perched near the top of one of the tallest trees. A great result as the Bat could then rest up and hopefully feed up to gain its strength at night time. Many thanks to Pharmacy, particularly Claire for contacting me, Supplies & Estates for furnishing me with a tea towel and heavy duty gloves. In the evening, I posted the pics, not sure of its exact ID, I knew it was a Pipistrelle species and Rob H kindly suggested Nathusius' Pipistrelle Bat, identified by its slightly larger size and very thick chestnut furry back, which I concur with.

No comments: