Sunday 5 September 2021

Early morning at Ness Point & the Netposts

On Sunday 5th September, I was keen to get some shots of the Black Redstarts at Ness Point, so during the first golden hour of sunlight I parked by the SLP yard and walked to the Ness Point wind turbine yard, a Black Redstart was perched on top of the barbed wire fence before dropping down to feed in the yard itself before flying over to the bus depot area where it continued to feed. Difficult to get pics (certainly not the results I was hoping for!) as the bird was quite actively feeding and the fence was blocking photography too (I need more steps!) A look around the tamarisk bushes was as usual very unproductive for me, so scanning the Point and the sea with equal results I then drove to the Netposts. Before I drove off, a young juvenile Herring Gull that had sat asleep by the side of the road in the gutter by the pavement woke up and started calling for its mother, which I assumed was the adult perched along the roof top. The bird then flew up to the roof top. At the Netposts, it was immediately apparent that further land was fenced off but by the original fenced area by the seawall, a fine male Wheatear was seen that eventually flew over to a new fence blocking land just east of the Netposts, also just back along the fence from this Wheatear was a fine Whinchat. As I walked around the male Wheatear was then seen on the Netposts.

No comments: