Sunday 5 September 2021

Drift migrants around Lowestoft & Kessingland

On Saturday 5th September, early on in dull weather I went down to the North Denes and instantly saw David B in the middle photographing 1 of 2 Whinchats. They were reasonably confiding and near the large bush, I had left my camera behind as the light was awful but David managed to get his usual excellent shots. A Wheatear was seen along the path ahead and then flew over and perched on the Alexander plants. I soon met up with Derek M & his wife. Later on, a tweet from Jane & Paul F I headed over to Gunton Burial ground and we saw a fine Redstart which regularly flew to the fence, 3 Robins seen and then Jane called out a Pied Fly and a fine Pied Flycatcher was seen first on the fence and then it flew to the nearby oak tree regularly flycatching. Good scope views but a little too far away for the camera). Later on Jane F very kindly called me to say the 4 Little Stints (seen earlier) were still along the edge of Kessingland North Beach Pool, I headed straight for the pool and was dismayed to see a dog walker had just walked along the edge of the pool, a summer- plumaged Dunlin flew south along the pool but didn't stop and 20 minutes later, 4 dog walkers (with 4 separate dogs) were around the pool throwing balls into the water, so I checked the beach and saw 6 Ringed Plovers fly up from beach, not wisjing to disturb them I retraced my steps back to the pool and the dog walkers had just left, I decided to wait 10 minutes behind a large clump of Marram grass just 30 metres from the edge of the pool and almost immediately was amazed to see the 4 diminutive Little Stint (1 ad, 3 imms) fly in along the edge. Initially they landed along the south eastern end, but they ran and fed directly in front of me (ie. 30 metres away with me hidden behind the Marram grass) before eventually returning back to the ir original spot. Another dog walker walking the edge flushed them south again. After they left a very nervous adult summer plumaged Dunlin briefly alighted at the pool before flying south again. The 4 Little Stints then returned before a family walking a dog coming back off the beach flushed the Little Stints south again at which point, I left. I drove straight to the North Denes, the light was much better and well lit for 2 Whinchat who were eventally picked up in the same spot I had seen them earlier in the day and posed nicely by the Alexander as I was walking back to the car, 2 confiding Wheatears were perched on a bush right by the path so doubled back in order not to disturb and managed to obtain some shots in the fading sunlight.

No comments: