Thursday 23 April 2020

Pheasants from the back fence

On Thursday 23rd April, I heard a quiet "mewing" sound and very carefully looking over the back fence at about 6.30pm, and at just over 1.5 metres away on Fallowfields, were 3 Pheasants, a resplendent male and 2 beautifully lit females were getting intimate, they certainly weren't respecting social distancing! Not wanting to appear voyeuristic or wanting to disturb their nuptials, I beat a hasty retreat. After a while, they started feeding and it was only at this point, I managed to get a shot of one of the females with my backup EOS 700D camera and 100-400mm lens set up at 400mm, F5.6. I don't know if Pheasant are polygamous, like their avian counterpart the Pied Flycatchers for example, but I look forward to seeing the results of this encounter, their progeny, in the very near future.

No comments: