Friday 17 April 2020

Lockdown cumulative update

Apologies for not many posts as I have been very busy working at the Hospital having volunteered to help with the fit testing PPE (personal protective equipment) for all our clinical staff, colleagues and JPUH friends. I am both proud, happy and greatly enjoy doing this role, so I haven't been out so much. Also I am on medication for tooth problems and some days are better than others. On 7 April, a Grey Heron (finally) flying east 6.35am takes the garden lockdown list to 41. Also 5 Jays flew over Fallowfields flying east then west and back into the trees, calling a weird "mewing call" I've never heard from this species before! Also on 7th April, the Snake's Head Fritillary bulbs we bought from the £1 shop a couple of years back, 3 (1 white, 2 ordinary now flowering nicely in the garden right now! On 8 April, 2 House Martins flying back over the house, brings the garden lockdown list up to 42. on 10 April, a Blackcap singing from our Parkhill garden brings the lockdown list up to 43. On 10 April, 2 Buzzards James W initially had going west seen just east of the garden. 11 April Male Blackcap singing on the top of a tree on Parkhill Hotel grounds bordering Fallowfields seen from looking over the back garden fence! On 12 April, a House Martin flying east over garden towards Park hill estate 11.45am. Also on 12 April, a hard cycle ride to Lound Lakes (keeping within the 1 hour of permitted exercise), lovely to see a singing showy male Blackcap on the hedge almost opposite the entrance to Blue Door Loke, only problem was I only had my 150mm macro lens and camera with me (far too heavy to carry the 500mm lens on the bike!), a further 9 seen or heard throughout the cycle ride. A total of 3 Swallows recorded 1 lining over the lake east of Blue Doors Loke and 2 further Swallows heard flying overhead on the walk west as I cycled back through Lound village, I heard the "psssst" call of a Redwing in the copse just north of the Village Maid Inn of there. On 13 April, a fine cock Pheasant was in the garden wandering around. Next day, I was flabbergasted to see this bird or another cock Pheasant walking over the plastic grass abomination laid on the front lawn of a house 6 doors down (the Pheasant was lovely, the plastic grass looked hideous and ghastly). On 16 April, in the morning at work, a young juvenile Blackbird (sadly no camera with me) flew into the Lecture Theatre, I was able to catch and release it quickly unharmed outside where it was reunited with its father on the grassy green outside. I'd bee hearing its calls for the last 4 days while we were PPE Fit testing. a Grey Heron calling flew east over garden, my 2nd lockdown sighting of this species.

No comments: