Wednesday 22 April 2020

Back to Fisher Row

On Wednesday 22nd April, feeling better, for my daily exercise, I cycled to Fisher Row late afternoon using the back roads and was there in no time. I could heard a mixture of 5 Chiff- Chaffs and 4 Blackcap singing. Given I have a blocked ear at present, I was relieved that I could still hear up to 4 Grasshopper Warblers reeling away, plus a Whitethroat calling (2 firsts for the year) plus a couple of Swallows and then a couple of House Martins flying over the tea gardens. The whole area looks great and especially looking over Peto's Marsh but armed only with binoculars and looking into the strong sun (which is never a good idea) I couldn't make anything out over there other than Cormorants and Swans. I was also really pleased to hear around 5 Sedge Warblers and an early brief song of a reasonably early Reed Warbler too (in the usual area in reeds by the river just before the western bend in the river). By the bowl, a Woodpecker heard tapping and walking back by the entrance Hill, a Song Thrush seen. Opposite the church, 4 fine Stock Doves fed in a field pretty close and were resplendent in the afternoon sun, but again sadly no big lens to capture them photographically. No butterflies seen. Cycling back, it was good to see Rob H, and have a catch up, he was about to cycle down for his evening constitutional and he tipped me off about a Moorhen's nest and lovely to see the Moorhen so close to the road, (but too far away from my accompanying 150mm macro lens) I quickly left it in peace.

No comments: