Saturday 30 December 2017

Snow Bunting at last!

On Saturday 30th December, as the sun started to shine mid morning, 10am I ventured out. Having driven down to Cornwall and then into West Wales over the past week for a great family Christmas (and having worked all day yesterday) I was loath to go very far. I revisited my old stomping ground the Lowestoft North Denes and as I parked up, the omens looked promising,as a small huddle of birders were peering intently at something by the yellow/ black buoy, just south of the fixed caravan park. Within 30 yards of reaching them, I could see the bird, a wonderful Snow Bunting feeding intently between the gap of the sloped western edge of the seawall. Always a delight to see them. It was very close to the area where I had seen a bird 3 years ago feeding even more confidingly (down to 3 feet!!!) by the blue fence barely 10 metres north of here. It fed mostly from him occasionally retreating to the drain when dog walkers went past along the diagonal walkway. Although all walkers/ dog walkers/ birders/ photographers were impeccably behaved this morning and the bird wasn't disturbed by anyone. Good to see Barry W here and to catch up with my other good friends Alan & Edwina too from the more bracing path along the seawall. The Snow Bunting spent a lot of time feeding and was oblivious to the people allowing a close approach down to around 10 feet (giving us all Ferguson views!!) perfect for photography too especially when the sun frequently poked its head through the clouds. Conditions were perfect to accumulate portfolio pics of a gorgeous bird. The Bunting suddenly seemed to tire of feeding and of its own accord, abruptly flew up at 12.10pm, called its wonderfully evocative "tinkling" festive call and then flew north- west, appearing to drop down somewhere along the northern part of the caravan site. My thanks to Craig, Rob & Phil for their directions for this bird, especially as I had struggled to see it over the last 2 occasions (admittedly in poor weather) that I had visited.

No comments: