Thursday 21 December 2017

Great Northern Diver showing wonderfully well!

On Saturday 16th December, I was back again at Oulton Broad, where I parked along the road leading up to the Commodore, a Grey Wagtail was seen and heard flying over the retirement home heading north. I could see the Diver by the Boulevard, so talking along the walkway by the Broad, half way along to the Yacht club, I could see the Diver swimming towards me incredibly close in really good light, I quickly knelt down and waited for it to dive before I could move into position. It divided and I ran into position and knelt down again hoping for some really close views but unfortunately I was thwarted by a bird photographer with a 300/400mm who wasn't following the same good fieldcraft and he unintentionally flushed the Diver so it swam vigorously away from a position where it was only 10 metres away, incredibly frustrating! I then made my way around to the Wherry and I spoke to the other photographer trying to impress on him the importance of good fieldcraft. he left and then I was rewarded with amazing views of the Great Northern Diver showing down to 10 metres from the Wherry and I had it all to myself it stayed here for some 20 minutes before swimming over towards the Maltings. Also see n were a Grey Wagtail flew over towards the Wherry and a Kingfisher flew across the Broad and over towards Mutford Lock basin.

No comments: