Sunday 22 January 2017

Viking Gull at Ness Point

A look at Ness Point and I saw Rob Hol raising his lens to photograph something it had flown behind the funnel, I didn't see it. It was the hybrid Glauc X Herring Gull or colloquially known as "Viking Gull", great name but I hadn't seen it yet. We walked down the road to the Bird's Eye entrance and we saw it perched on a low roof, it was the excellent Viking Gull. 2 Purple Sandpipers seen in flight at Ness Point albeit at low tide. At Oulton Broad finally, finally the Common Sandpiper gave itself up to me (after 8 fruitless attempts) showing on the distant rock edge at the basin and even saw off 3 Turnstones that flew off! A Kingfisher then flew over and east. At Outon Broad briefly seeing Rob & erin, we also saw a Kingfisher fly right, I walked off to get the sun behind me and despite the excellent light, I picked out definitely one Yellow- legged Herring Gull, typically brute of a bird, slightly darker Common Gull grey on its mantle and crucially when it stretched its wings it showed the diagnostic grey secondary bar.

No comments: