Sunday 8 January 2017

Woe at Minsmere, joy at Dunwich

On Sunday 8th January, a look at Minsmere Island Mere this revealed little. The Goosanders had gone, Bearded Tits were heard and 2 calling Siskins flying over the Rhododendron tunnel. At Dunwich I saw Matthew D who had just seen a flock of 8 Scaup sadly a joy rider on a power boat had scared them right off. However, Matthew had mentioned he'd seen a tight knit group of LT Ducks to the north, I looked and picked out initially several 4 lone Common Scoters and a flock of 18 Shovelor on the sea. It was also apparent there were over 100 Great- crested Grebes on the sea, a quite remarkable gathering. But I also spotted the fine quartet of Long- tailed Ducks on the sea, always lovely to see and only around half way out, they were directly in front of a boat on the horizon and just right of a long line of Gulls stretched out on the sea. On the walk down, no Twite seen. I did however see a Great White Egret feeding on the coastal marsh but wary as ever, as I later walked back one was seen more in land close to the Dunwich end, making 2 Great White Egrets in all. My walk down failed to reveal any Twite or Snow B, but as I walked back, I noted an area of swampy salt marsh, where 2 birders were peering intently. Just in fromt of them, as I suspected was the excellent flock of 30 Twite most hidden from view but occasional glimpses were obtained when they hopped in to view or jumped briefly up into view. sadly, a Sky lark took fright and flushed them and all 30 Twite flew around in a large circle around 4 times before heading north.

No comments: