Sunday 29 January 2017

3 Shags on Lake Lothing

It was a case of 13th time lucky as I finally on the Saturday 28th January saw my first Shags in Lowestoft for 2017. Looking from the fence just down from the rail bridge by Lake Lothing one immature Shag was fishing in the water to the east not far from a tightly packed group of 5 Little Grebe and appeared to be swimming closer but it then flew to under "John Lethbridge" wreck perching on the orange jetty underneath it, as I walked along saw the usual 2 Redshank were by the shoreline plus a calling Kingfisher flew past. At Mutford Lock basin nothing seen other than another 2 Redshank and 5 Turnstone. Walking back towards the railway bridge I looked under the John Lethbridge wreck and the original immature Shag had been joined by another immature Shag perched next to it! Looking from Riverside one, a third immature Shag, was on the river to the west and let out of the water when it was diving. From Asda round the I heard the familiar rasping of a Peregrine Falcon and I saw a male bird circling around 3 times before flying half way over the river towards me before it flew east and over the far side.

No comments: