Sunday 1 May 2016

Ring Ouzel in stubble field

First thing this morning a dash down to Kessingland, revealed a fine male White Wagtail on the path walking down but sadly no Hoopoe. But a Wheatear was seen flying away I met Rob Win & Maurice B we had a calling Yellow Wagtail fly south and a Whitethroat singing from on top a bramble bush my first of the year. Next stop was Corton MOD stubble field not really sure where to look, I scanned from the road checked the Lodge no sign. A later tweet from Jane had me back there, this time pinned down to the hedge bordering the southern side of the field, I saw Margaret walking back and Paul & Jane by the cliff path, as I walked down the footpath, I suddenly disturbed a very fine male Ring Ouzel which must have been perched up in the bushes as it flew east chuckling, it was a fine male. I sat down waiting for it to pop out when up popped Craig & the 2 "Sheps" immaculately behaved as ever. We set up by the hedge and was joined by Paul & Jane and OFB later and the male Ring Ouzel hopped out and showed really well constantly feeding we saw it tug up at least 6 worms during our vigil. A dog walker brazenly walked up to the bird and was virtually on top of it when the Ouzel flew all the way to the Lodge compound before it flew back to the hedge when OFB returned we slowly walked up half way to the bird following the line of the hedge and the bird showed quite well feeding by the edge of the field before another birder walking up inadvertently flushed it and it flew back to the Lodge compound again.

No comments: