Saturday 21 May 2016

Bee-eater at Winterton

On Thursday 12th May we drove all the way back from Scotland, having left at around 9.30am we were too late to see the Bee- eater at the cricket ground at Winterton. Next day, Friday 13th May, I waa there early at around 6am but no sign of the bird. Good to to meet Mick D and see Tim again. It wasn't until the afternoon after I had returned home that news came that it had reappeared by the BT cable station. So mid afternoon, I went over and soon as I was got there, a small group of birders with their scope trained on the overhead powerlines just to the west pointed literally to where the bird was. The excellent colourful Bee- eater perched on the wires, Tim very kindly showed me a great spot a little further on an to the left where we could walk under the cover of a fence, Leylandii trees and overhanging vegetation to get closer to the bird, where I could stand and wait and maybe get some pics of it. I stood here for an hour and a half and the bird wasn't perturbed at all by my presence and indeed it had frequently flying sorties always catching a bee and returning to the power line and promptly started devouring it. The bird even perched closer on several occasions and managed to obtain a few shots even though the sky was overcast.

No comments: