Saturday 21 May 2016

Minsmere Black- winged Stilt

On Friday 20th May, I drove down to Minmere met Jane & Paul F who'd just seen the BWS. I looked from North hide couldn't see it, nobody in the hide. From East hide, nobody here either I couldn't see it here either. Lots of Common Terns I'd say close on 60.Lots of people from N. Hide so I walked back met Matthew D on way went back decided to back to East hide. I eventually spotted the excellent Black- winged Stilt right down the far end of the bung on the right hand side by some green reedy shards sticking out of the water. It had a little grey on the head, black back and long red legs. It walked around here and almost looked as if it would through the gap and beyond the island out of sight, but it gradually walked back into water and started feeding. A Kittiwake was stood on th far bung too. After a while, the Black- winged Stilt flew strongly east and disappeared behind an island. Also 2 Mediterranean Gulls, 1 full adult summer plumage p and another more adult with more partially plumage with blotchy black head. summer plumaged Dunlin. On the walk back along the beach, a group of 10 Terns included 7 Little Terns and 3 Commons Terns flew over and over East hide towards the Scrape. Walking back 3 red deer seen by the field just east of the centre sheltering around 3 bushes, either sitting tor standing and looking at me. Back at the track to the pond, a Blackcap was heard singing and by the birdtables by the steps by the car park, a Red- legged Partridge flew away down the path on my approach.

No comments: