Wednesday 7 May 2014

Now an LRP at Carlton Marshes Scrape!

After work on Wednesday 7th May, having received a tweet that there was an LRP at Carlton Marshes, I tweeted for the exact location and following an instant reply from James B, I replied "that barring any gridlock, I would be there in 20 minutes" Prophetic words indeed, as I spent 20 minutes alone queuing along Somerleyton road, apparently the queuing was a result of a traffic accident at Oulton Broad! Despite taking the Camps Heath/ Prospect road diversion it had taken me double the time normally taken to get to Carlton Marshes. Taking the southerly route, I met Rob Wil and then James B on the journey round. From the south side of the scrape, I immediately picked out the fine Little Ringed Plover, with more elongated structure and yellow eye- ring obvious. It was in the same area as the Stint had been a day perviously although we first saw it left of that on grass, always a nice bird to see. Unfortunately the rain clouds open and I was drenched! A male Yellow Wagtail calling flew in and was joined on the ground by another female Yellow Wagtail, they were unseparable as the female was constantly following the male around. Giving a romantic flavour to the evening. As always the Yellow Wags lovely birds to see, especially fine plumage; the butter yellow coloration of the male. Another male Yellow wagtail was seen slightly further back too. A Grasshopper Warbler was heard distantly reeling too. Walking back around 5 Sedge Warblers seen singing, 2 of these were showing reasonably well in the reeds together and a Reed Warbler was heard singing as I passed Spratts Water. This is the 5th day on the trot that I have visited Carlton Marshes, will there be another trip again there tomorrow?

No comments: