Sunday 4 May 2014

GW Egret 1 Kites O

Driving over Oulton Broad Mutford Lock an immature Shag was on the very end of the jetty (this time on the northern end) and was busy preening itself. A trip to Carlton Marshes and the Great White Egret was still on the Scrape I walked up and joined James B, Neville S & Chris M. We heard Cuckoo. After a little while I left to have a close look at the GW Egret from the other side. I fervently wish I hadn't, as it wasn't as close as yesterday and twenty minutes after leaving James, I missed my big bogey bird in Suffolk a Black Kite. I didn't know about until I got James' tweet which was too late and as I frantically scanned the area by Burgh St. Peter but couldn't see it (it would have been in Norfolk anyway), as if to rub salt into the wound as I was scanning for this Kite, a Red Kite apparently went low over the reserve and I missed that too, bah humbug! Scanning the skies revealed just 1 Buzzard and 3 Marsh Harriers for me. Up to 5 Sedge Warblers seen around the rest of the walk.

No comments: