Monday 12 May 2014

Blue headed Stunner

On Monday 12th May, I had to leave relatively early as I had an afternoon training course at Peterborough Hospital but I was delighted to see at least 2 House Martins back utilising 2 of the 3 nests under the eaves of the house. Sadly next doors single nest had fallen down in the winter. Fortunately this very wet spell we are experiencing should provide plenty of muddy areas for the birds to build a new nest. Driving back from Peterborough, I would estimate that I received the first message about the male Blue- headed Wagtail as I was driving past North Walsham. After I had stopped to check the message I drove straight for the North Denes and parked on Links Road car park. Reaching the spot roughly half way along I saw Paul & Jane who said they had it seconds previously but it had disappeared until Paul & I picked it out the wonderful male Blue- headed Wagtail at around 8.20pm, slightly further south along the path running parallel with the seawall walk. A stunning bird with deep blue head white chin, yellow underparts and browner back. It was constantly on the move walking in the long grass jumping up around both the plantain and the Dandelion heads, before finally revealing itself and showing really well (a pity I didn't have the camera but no time to retrieve it and I couldn't leave it in the car on a visit) the fading light along the worn track before disappearing again. In the gloom just south of here we saw a bedraggled and wet female Wheatear standing along the same trampled path. My thanks to Rob for the initial find and Paul & Jane sticking it out in order to show me where it was.

No comments: