Sunday 4 May 2014

Great White Egret flying over Fisher Row, Oulton Marshes

In the evening I went down Fisher Row to lift my spirits after the bad dip of this morning of my big bogey bird in Suffolk Black Kite; and to see if the GW Egret may have relocated to Oulton Marshes. As I walked down the entrance hill, the first bird I saw singing which hopped into a close bush opposite the track was a fine Garden Warbler, my first of the year and a great start! I then heard several 3 Willow Warblers, 2 Blackcaps and 1 Chiff- Chaff. As I walked around the reserve and had views of hunting Barn Owl always nice to see. Plus a Chinese Water Deer on the marsh. When I was half way down the tea gardens path at 8.10pm I looked up and saw an excellent Great White Egret flying right overhead and north. It showed all white plumage on the head upper parts, wings, and underparts the wings were long, a long yellow bill (indicating it was an immature non- breeding bird) and head tucked in showing a distinct white breast bulge and dark black legs extending beyond the white tail with a clump at the end showing the feet. I had the presence of mind to get a few record shots, (see below). It continued to fly north and out of sight. A great find and a fine way to bounce back from the bitter disappointment of this morning. As I walked back, I saw a male and female Muntjac Deer in the sloping fuel and another female Muntjac Deer in the field by the northerly wire fence, just before the entrance path. I also heard a Cuckoo calling from the back of the sloping field by the railway line.

No comments: