Thursday 24 April 2014

Wryneck at Benacre

At 9.55am I heard a Lesser Whitethroat calling from the southern perimeter hedgerow of the James Paget Hospital. Meanwhile in the evening, it was a case of third time lucky trying to drive south of Lowestoft, although again I got temporarily caught up in the nightly gridlock along Gorleston road, after 10 minutes I was able to turn around and divert via Sands Lane & Prospect road by 6.20pm I was parking at the end of Beach farm, Benacre. The Kessingland/ Benacre Spring purple patch was continuing and just after 6.30pm I was able to claim my share of it when I walked up to the donkey paddocks and I saw some birders who said it was at the far end. I could see the excellent Wryneck showing really well feeding right out in the open. I walked up and from behind a bush I watched it again before some birders walked up again and it flew to the bush by the hedgerow at the eastern end. After a few minutes it was back out again feeding right out in the open. It spent some time in a little dip feeding, occasionally its head would be seen popping up from time to time. Meanwhile in the middle of the field a "seep" call revealed a newly arrived (for me) group of flava wagtails, 2 fine male Yellow Wagtails with butter yellow heads, 2 female Yellow Wagtails and a fine male Blue- headed Wagtail with a male Pied wagtail at the back too. The male Blue- headed Wagtail loosely associated with the other lava Wagtails but keeping to the outer margins. The Wryneck the moved from the south- east corner of the field flying to its middle. I walked back and occasionally spotted it, until I came across it just 20 feet from the path, showing incredibly well it sat here for some 10 minutes before it suddenly shifted and flew back to the eastern edge of the field, where I lost it from view. walking back I first heard and then saw a newly arrived male Whitethroat in the hedge. 2 Oystercatchers then flew past and west. A very enjoyable evening and mostly just me with the very confiding birds and getting really good views and pics too, just wish the light had been a little better.

No comments: