Sunday 6 April 2014

Elusive Dusky and White Storks nesting at Thrigby Wildlife Park

Yesterday, on Saturday 5th April, I walked down Fisher Row and just before the stable I looked at a showy singing Chiff- Chaff (pictured below) singing from the top of a tall bush. A male Blackcap was singing by the bowl seen in a tree. Another Blackcap was heard singing by the tea gardens. I went back to Oulton Marshes and standing in the usual spot after an hour, seeing Don & Gwen who regaled me with their luck of seeing the bird out in the open for 5 minutes. I had no luck, no sight or sound of the bird, until Tim B popped along he looked around 30 metres further down the path with 2 other birders, he gave me the thumbs up and walking down, I could hear the soft "tack" of the Dusky Warbler that was seen flitting around in the tree at mid height and then flew high up to a tree before flying back to the usual bush area where I had been standing. We looked here for a while no luck. Having looked in this week's Great Yarmouth Mercury, where they reported the free flying but captive (ie. not wild!) White Storks were nesting on top of chimney at Thrigby Hall at Thrigby Wildlife park. I thought that would make a good picture. So, a visit in the afternoon (this is the best time to visit with the sun swinging round to illuminate the Storks and the nests) to Thrigby was just the ticket. It costs £12.50 each to get in if anyone wants to get pictures of the Storks too (make sure you print off the £1 off voucher per person from their website to save a little money on admission). The zoo has plenty of big cats including Tigers, Snow Leopards, Leopard & Black Panther as well large Snakes such as Anacondas, Alligators, Tortoises', Otters, Baboons as well as the aforementioned White Storks, Demoiselle Cranes, Red crested Pochards & Sacred Ibis et al. I managed to obtain some shots of the nesting captive White Storks on top of the Hall. There were 2 nests on top of 2 chimneys, initially I couldn't see any Storks, by whilst the Tigers were being fed, 1 bird flew in then latterly the other. I finally managed to get shots best obtained from the tree line walkway situated just south of the Hall. In the evening a Redwing was heard calling "pssst" as it flew over the house.

No comments: