Saturday 26 November 2011

Mutford Lock Surprise


Whilst driving south over Mutford Lock bridge at Oulton Broad, I noticed what looked like 2 Shags on the wooden jetty close to the eastern side of the bridge on the Lake Lothing side. When I went to investigate on foot, there were indeed 2 immature Shags which stood on either side of the jetty, just 20 feet from the road bridge. Whilst ducking underneath the barrier, I unfortunately disturbed a few feral pigeons which flew off, causing the 2 Shags to initially shuffle back a couple of feet but before long they were settled enough to shuffle back to their original postions.
The immature Shag on the left was in clear view, with pale belly, and brownish upperparts and a small white throat. The other bird on the right was partially obscured and mostly had its back onto me. I managed a few pictures and then quietly left. At Lowestoft Asda, 3 calling Siskin flew over in a south- westerly direction.
Nothing else was seen here.

No comments: