Friday 4 November 2011

Lunchbreak Pallas's

On Friday 4th November, at 12.20pm I took a short lunchbreak trip to Corton Old rail track hoping to see the Pallas's Warbler.
This bird had been really elusive during its stay but I was fortunate enough to see it 4X during my 45 minute stay and seeing it well on two occasions.
Seeing a group of birders including OFB, Steve P & Andrew G amongst others, all standing half way to the Dell, I joined them and no sooner had I done so than we started to hear Long- tailed Tits calling. The Tit flock came through and following it was a small warbler with short tail and silky white underparts. It then disappeared into bushes and called a soft "tsuiiee" call, it was the Pallas's Warbler. Around half an hour later, looking at the bushes bordering the east side of the old rail track bushes by the Dell, I serched through a flock of Long- tailed Tits flying right, a Chiff- Chaff was with them plus several Blue Tits. A shout went up from Steve P and the flock flew to the south end trees of the Dell in the middle of the track, the Pallas's Warbler flew across and I could see its bright olive upperparts and a riots of yellow wing- bars. It disappeared within a thickly foliaged Holm Oak.
Walking away from the group, I walked along the east side of the Dell and looked east peering into the shrub border and looking through to the back, I could clearly see the excellent Pallas's Warbler.
This Siberian gem always lifts the spirits and was desperately needed at this time. A glorious birds with olive green upperparts yellow supercilia and 2 yellow wing bars, it flitted around the back and I watched it for a minute before it flew a short way to the right.
Having to go back to the car to return to work at 1pm, I again saw the excellent Pallas's Warbler as it followed several Long- tailed tits which flew across the track (west path) which was 30 yards north of the Dell to the middle set of bushes. The Pallas's Warbler flew across and it perched on a branch in full view with the sunlight illuminated the bird wonderfully and the olive upperparts yellow supercilia and wing bars could be seen really well, albeit for just 10 seconds before it flew south.
Finally it was really good to see and have a quick chat with Tommy C an excellent field birder who I hadn't seen for several years.

No comments: