Sunday 18 September 2011

Turtle Dove & Hobby lighten the gloom

On a distinctly gloomy afternoon, I was absolutely delighted to see my first Turtle Dove in Suffolk this year and this was then followed a minute later by a Hobby flying north, just east of Corton Old Rail track this evening. I had wandered across the track from the woody copse and decided to look in the field just east of there, when I saw the distinctive "clipped" flight of a Turtle Dove, it showed distinctive white outer tail feathers, brown mottled back and dark wing tips as it flew away in a north- east direction. No sooner had I enjoyed seeeing this bird when an excellent Hobby appeared in my vision from the right very close and just above hedge height and flew directly north just above the height of the bushes and flew over Stirrups Lane and north. The Hobby had lovely dark grey upperparts white throat and dark moustachial stripe. I also saw the red- brown trousers clearly as it flew left past me and eventually out of sight.
Also seen during the walk were up to 5 Chiff- Chaff and 3 male Migrant Hawkers.
It was also nice to see Danny P, Rene & James B birding along the track.
Earlier on in the garden I was pleased to see a Hornet buzzing around our compost bin at 2pm after going out to have a look when Jenny said she had seen a large Hornet thing buzzing around the bin. A House Martin flew over the garden today too.

No comments: