Sunday 27 March 2011

Spring Migrants at long last!

After spending much of the past few weeks looking for spring migrants, I finally saw 3. After rising very late following the change to summer time, by 11am BST I was watching several singing Meadow Pipits, 6 in total and the odd Sky Lark on the North Denes this morning, there was no sign of the Iceland along either the Beach, groynes or Links rd car park. I then walked over to the new caravan park compound. I finally saw my first Wheatear of the spring, a fine male feeding near the pile of earth by the tractor. Having walked off I bumped into Roy H and his wife at Sparrows Nest car park, I retraced my steps and showed them the Wheatear and Ruth H said there was a second, another fine male Wheatear just to the right of the original bird.
Back at the car park, I looked over the stretch of grass just east of there and I saw 2 Wagtails the first an obvious Pied wagtail but the second was a fine spring male White Wagtail, with pale grey back contrasting with the neatly demarcated black crown and nape. I called over Roy and his wife and they enjoyed this bird before it was flushed after several minutes by 2 children running over to the exact spot where the birds were.

No comments: