Friday 11 March 2011

Fisher Row goodies

Walking down the entrance hill, I had the good fortune to meet Don & Gwen who gave very good directions for the Green Sand and after an enjoyable conversation, I took the right most path, over the fields and the railway line and looked north along the dyke running parallel and just west of the railway line. Sure enough, I spotted the excellent Green Sandpiper walking away and up to the bend before it changed its mind and started walking back sometimes venturing out a metre or so into the dyke, I was hoping it would continue feeding closer and closer but it then retraced its steps. This Green sandpiper was my first ever sighting of this species at Fisher Row, my first for Lowestoft and a 2nd for the Lizard area following a sighting of a Green Sandpiper at Fritton marshes in January 2009. Walking along the dyke wall I spotted 90 Wigeon in the fields and by then a Little Egret flew south over the fields over my head and settled in the overflow area sandwiched between the dyke path and the river, I scouted round and was hopeful of getting some shots of it in the pit but sadly it saw me as I crawled down to the fence and it flew east again.
In the lagoon at Horseshoe point I spotted the Ferruginous Duck with a pair of Tufted Duck and around 5 Coot. They were on the far (southern) side and then swam and promptly fell asleep by the far western side. I managed a few shots from the river path and then walked east to the main Fisher Row path. From the wooded area, a total 21 Redwings called and flew north.
At the sloping field 53 Jackdaws were seen and a pair of Bullfinches were heard calling their mournful "peuu" calls. Just before the entrance path, I looked east and perched near the top a large bush was a fine Redwing. Finally, a Jackdaw was seen in the horse field opposite the church car park.

No comments: