Sunday 6 June 2010

Strumpshaw & Suffolk garden delights


Saturday 5th June, I heard a Whimbrel fly over the garden but unfortunately not seen.
Jenny & I visited RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, and I have never seen so many people as I did today.
Even a second car park in the field opposite the original was full and I eventually found somewhere to park. The hot sunny sultry weather provided us with our best views yet of up to 5 Swallowtail butterflies, one before the bend and up to 4 flying along the straight path around the Fen walk following the river with 2 individuals showing fluttering and then gliding in flight just above the reeds and then settling on the tops of the reeds. 3 Brimstone were also seen plus a female Marsh harrier and a calling Cuckoo.
The walk back and Dr Martin George's garden had a small cluster of people peering with cameras into the flowers at the front of the garden, a sure sign of a Swallowtail and one immaculate individual was feeding and showing very well here for around 5 minutes before it flew back towards the Fen. Thanks to Dr George's generosity I was again able to obtain some stunning shots. 
A stop at Norwich Camping & Leisure gardening centre at Brundall revealed a fine adult male Pied Wagtail feeding on the ground amongst the tables.
Sunday the 6th june I saw my first  migrant Silver Y Moth of the year perched on the outside window pane of the small front room.

No comments: