Saturday 19 December 2009

Minsmere Quest


A longer journey than usual to Minsmere in order to purchase the latest Suffolk Bird Report resulted in me having to park before the hill at Scolts Hall. Because all the snow and compacted ice provided no grip so ever going uphill. On the ensuing walk I heard the "peuuu" calls of at least 2 Bullfinch and on the feeders briefly was a fine Marsh Tit.
I was pleased to have 2 of my pictures published in the report the Wangford Waxwing (Dec 2008) and the 1st winter Glaucous Gull (Gorleston harbour March 2008 to view the pics go to those months reports from last year).
Having purchased the report, I saw the Marsh Tit all to briefly again and a charming picture of 2 Rabbits huddling together in the snow but sadly they parted when I got the camera out.
Having to take the road to eastbridge avoiding the entrance hill on the way back I was lucky enough to see 3 Bullfinches 2 magnificent males and a female fly from the roadside hedge as I drove by.
In Blythburgh village, a redwing fed by the side of the road until I stopped and it sadly flew. Slightly more obliging was a Marsh Tit that was seen in a small copse of trees opposite.
In the field opposite Pontins at Pakefield 4 Snipe could be seen amongst a few Lapwing there.

No comments: