Wednesday 1 November 2023

No sign of the Scoter for me

On Tuesday 31st October, on a misty foggy morning before work I drove to near Mutford Lock and looked in the basin there was a lot of fog but no sign of the VS, I was particularly keen to see and photograph this bird as I hadn't got a decent picture of this species before save for a mid distance shot of one on the North sea off Gunton beach, years ago when there was a Dusky warbler in Warren House Wood. I hadn't close views of this species for many year probably 35- 40 years ago when their used to be 4 Benacre Pits and the largest seawrd pit would often host winter wildfowl goodies such as Scoters, Divers and Grebes. I also checked Lake Lothing and a fishing 1st winter Shag was seen as well as the immature Brent Goose still on the shore line until a dog flushed it onto the water. I had a quick scan over Oulton Broad and couldn't see anything there either. Time to go back to work and the sun finally up and illuminating the Paget car park at 8.20am. It was rather disconcerting to hear the bird was promptly picked up on Oulton Broad sighted from both the Wherry and the Boulevard, (both perfect places for morning photography) barely 30 minutes later!

No comments: