Sunday 12 November 2023

Great Northern Diver around the Lowestoft Harbour area

As I walked around to the south- west section of the marsh at Southwold in the hope of finding a WF Goose, this proved unsuccessful but incredibly a tweet from Jon W stating he picked up a stricken GN Diver in the middle of the road at barnby, after vets refused to take it due o fears of potential bird flu, Jon was to release it at Lake Lothing. So I started the long walk back and headed for the railway bridge in the hope I would se it from there. Itb was seen here by Rob Wil, but when I arrived there I had updated mesages saying it was swimming towards Asda, seen from Asda cafe and then heading towards the Bascule bridge, so I decided to park up near the South Pier. As I drove south over the Bascule Bridge I could see from the car the fine Great Northern Diver swimming vigorously east! I parked in a 30 minute parking bay and ran to the area overlooking the harbour and the channel to Hamilton Dock, I saw Jane & Paul F who said it was swimming into Hamilton Dock and I saw the bird itself, an immature bird with brown head, distinctive scaly back & it was swimming intently for Hamilton Dock, time to leave but sadly a 20 minute bridger delayed our arrival to Hamilton Road and the Diver was seen in the channel briefly before it disappeared into Hamilton Dock, Paul expertly found 20 minutes later, fortuitously as both Derek & Gillian M drew up and we were able to show them the bird before it it appeared to swim out to sea. But the arrival of a large ship pushhed it back in to the channel again where again it disappeared into Hamilton Dock, where 10 minutes later I saw it swim out and this time it headed out to sea again at 3.40pm, this time not to return. The bird appeared healthy and had regular diving sorties but no prey items were observed, we hope this bird will recovered sufficiently to continue its migration or indeed have a longer stay around the watery environs of Lowestoft. (PICS LIBRARY PICS ONLY)

No comments: