Sunday 5 November 2023

No Eagle

A disappointing trip over to Woolpit/ Rattisdon which was fraught with difficulty as 3 routes I tried to get there had been closed and diversions were in place but no indication where the diversion was going, so what should have been a 75 minute journey was doubled to 150 minutes. I arrived but the Sat Nav had directed me to Dead man's Lane, Stowmarket, it didn't find Dead man's Lane Woolpit/ Rattisdon for some reason. Fortunately on the Bird Sightings What's App group site had a Google Maps link and within 15 minutes, I was driving up the correct Dead Man's Lane, near Woolpit, where I disturbed a Red Kite on the road feeding on a rabbit corpse. I then drew onto the concrete square where a few birders cars were parked and I saw Brian from Essex, no luck with the Eagle it had flown off earlier and didn't return whilst I was there but there were 2 excellent Grey Partridges hunkered down in the field to the right, my first since the Mutford birds Jane & Paul F had told me about a few years ago, sadly too far away to photograph. Meanwhile in the distance the Red Kite was mobbing a Buzzard over the distant woodland.

No comments: