Saturday 25 November 2023

Birthday birds and Goosander on the 19th

On Wednesday 15th November, I travelled to Kessingland. A search along the North Beach was initially unsuccessful, even though I had seen birders watching the S Larks near the pool opp the Pill box, they diseappeared totally for me and I looked down by the lighthouse and no luck there either. I tweeted negative news and Chris D kindly gave precise directions where to, back where the others birders hasd been looking but walking south just a few metres, around 50 metres ahead of me I briefly saw the 5 excellent Shore Larks on the beach before they flew north appearing to settle on the beach neat the lighthouse lookout. I saw John R and we looked up there and saw 2 fine Sanderlings on the eastern edge of the northern shore pool, along with 5 Ringed Plovers but no sign of either the Larks or the Buntings. A Fieldfare seen flying in off and continued inland. sadly a dead Grey seal was seen on the beach too. I walked around the main reedy pool just south and was delighted to see a fine Jack Snipe fly up but it flew inland. I then drove to Lowestoft no sign of Waxwings at Melrose Close but driving along Crestview drive at 3pm, sadly with the light going, I saw an incredible flock of 52 Waxwings perched in 2 trees by the layby just before the junction with Spashett Road, I counted the flock 3X to make sure I had a correct count, some birds flew down to the berry bush and started feeding but after a short while the whole flock flew and then flew down and circled around Foxborough drive for 10 minutes before they flew back to Crestview Drive at 3.15pm. On Sunday 19th along lake Lothing, I bumped into Paul & jane F & from the Lowestoft Cruising Club, I breifly saw the redhead Goosander swimming towards Mutford Lock. We made our way over to Mutford Lock and we saw the fine female redhead Goosander actively fishing just beneath the waterline the far southern end of the lock, I made my way over the bridge in order to get some pics but she started swimming back north and the flew west over the bridge.

No comments: