Sunday 2 May 2021

Sotterley, Oulton Broad (dangerous dog) & Westleton Health

On Sunday 2nd May, a second look at the Early Purple Orchids at Sotterley, I managed to secure extra shots but had to drive back to Oulton Broad again as Kevin B. had seen the Goosander back at Oulton Broad. As I arrived I witnessed a horrific attack dog on dog (both dogs were on leads but both sets of owners seemed oblivious to it and the attacking dog drew blood from the other, the owner of the attacking dog said "he's only drawn a little blood, no apologies!!) I continued on shaken but my mood soon improved when I immediately spotted the fine male Goosander, (I'd missed twice the previous day) whose glossy velvety green hood positively glistened in the mid morning sun, only problem was it was far over the other side of Oulton Broad just west of the maltings end, it spent quite a bit of time by a wooden jetty. I watched this fine bird for 30 minutes but incrasing boat traffic meant it wouln't come any closer so I drove to Westleton and took the path to the quarry, by the usual spot I was delighted to hear 3 Nightingales, 2 were perched high up in hawthorn bushes although obscured. I was told about Little Owls further along although they didn't show for me. I did see 2 Red Deer sitting just to the left of some bushes on the ridge. I also hear the "churr" of Dartford Warblers a couple of times and even a singing male in song but they escaped observation too. A singing male Stonechat seen a couple of times by the gorse bushes. The heather had 3 Vivaparous Lizards moving about and then I heard the wonderful song of a Wood Lark and one perched on the fence line at the top of the "hill" for a few short minutes. Up to 3 Buzzard flew over too. Plus 2 Shelduck flying north slightly later. Walking back by the usual spot 2 Nightingales heard, one in a large bush near the path and one bird singing right from the top of a hawthorn but sadly the light was all wrong for photography as the weather was detioriorating rapidly, so my cue to leave.

No comments: