Monday 3 May 2021

Goosander, seawatch (seeing some birds for a change!) & trio of Wheatears

On Bank Holiday Mayday Monday 3rd, I ventured to Oulton Broad first thing keen to get shots of the male Goosander which was lying on the concrete jetty just south of the Oulton Broad sailing club, unfortunately just as I hobbled over, a chap was cutting the grass and it flopped down into the water. The bird was showing well swimming just off shore it swam to the sailing club, I tweeted the news out and within 20 minutes Rob H and David B & his wife appeared, it swam really close into the slipway just south of the sailing club giving great views but the light still wasn't great. Rob spotted a Common Sandpiper flying west over the far side and I spotted a Common Tern flying on Oulton Broad by the Yacht jetty wooden pontoon area in the southern corner. Unfortunately the hour was up and I had to move my car (bad mistake photography wise but I would have definitely got a ticket If I had left it, knowing my luck) and surprise, surprise the sun came out just as I had left and Rob had the bird back on the concrete jetty, but it was back on the water when I hobbled back and the wonderful sun lasted all of 3 minutes for me before it clouded over again. Although the bird was around 15 metres out on the water giving great views the cloudy weather meant no further pics, sadly. Walking back I heard a Common Sandpiper calling but failed to see it. I then joined James B at Baker's Score at Corton and saw around 35 Sandwich Tern flying south in total. Plus 2 very brief Common Scoter on the sea. A Whimbrel flying south was also another nice spot. Finally 2 Shelduck flew south. Best seawatch for years! A look around the North Denes, the caravan parks, Oval, fenced in compound and Netposts was typically almost birdless with 3 Stock Dove on the Oval, 4 Ringed Plovers flew north from the beack over the seawall, 3 Linnet at Netposts and a Muntjac Deer nonchalently walking east along the path (which runs parallel with Bird's Eye) being the only birds/ animal of note. A brief look at Gunton woodland burial before rain stopped play included 3 Wheatears amongst the graves in the middle.

No comments: