Saturday 1 May 2021

Cattle Egrets at Oulton Marshes

On Saturday 24th April, I cycled down to Oulton Marshes (no problem with hobbling around and big camera giving me back ache), I heard a Grasshopper Warbler reeling from the marsh at the bottom of the entrance hill and later by the railway line I was fortunate enough to bump into Carlton regular Phil D who pointed me in the direction of the dyke where both birds had disappeared into. One soon popped its head out and then the second of 2 Cattle Egrets (my first for Fisher Row/ Oulton Marshes) walked out showing a lovely bright buff colouration on the crown and neck denoting breeding plumage, they busily carried on feeding in front of the fence line before flying over to join the cattle a little further away, as we crossed the railway line Phil spotted an excellent male Wheatear in the field just north of the track. I bade my farewell to Phil and cycled along the river wall, I watched the Cattle Egrets feeding amongst the cattle and in the dyke again I continued cycling along the path seeing 2 Great White Egrets fly up briefly from the far end of Peto's marsh. A few 3 Chiff- Chaffs, a Sedge Warbler and Blackcap were all heard only birds but a tame Robin by the gate opposite the church entrance tried to make up for it sadly no camera with me to take advanatage of it.

No comments: