Tuesday 28 January 2020

Wrong decisions

On Sunday 26th January, I decided to try back at Kessingland North beach for the elusive Shore Lark, (wrong choice should have started at Wrexham Broad), despite checking the pool edge and the beach around 1/2 a mile north and south along the tide line no Shore Lark was seen. I met Paul & Jane F as I walked back and guessed they would remind it, which of course they did! I then drove to Wrexham Broad and was met by Paul H, who said the Slav Grebe was still about but over the far side and quite elusive too. It had been giving close views the previous day when he found and early morning too. Paul spotted it amongst the tree roots over the far side and I managed to get some reasonable scope views of this fine Slavonian Grebe. Very sad to see a dead adult Mute Swan by the Broad edge and what it appeared to be its mate hanging around nearby. A trip to Wex Photographic and I was able to buy the carbon fibre monopod and head for use on the upcoming Sweden trip. Back at Kessingland again no sign of the Shore Lark, although 2 children and their father were wandering around the North pool edge which didn't help to say the least. 8 Ringed Plovers seen on the beach just south of there and later 6 sanderlings by the shore pool. But as I was checking the tideline on the beach half way along the North pool, a confiding Snow Bunting was feeding, I took pics and from this I was able to rad the writing on the silver ring on its left leg.

No comments: