Sunday 28 July 2024

Violet Helleborines in very deepest Suffolk

On Sunday 28th July, a a traditional site in very deepest Suffolk, I met Paul & Jane F at 10am to walk through the wood to the spot where the Helleborines were. It was only my second time at this site. The last time Ricky was still with us and he had given me excellent directions and I had found around 30 odd plants. This time they were incredibly difficult to find and Jane found 2 plants, Violet Helleborines, with one in flower and 1 in bud. Typically they were in a dark part of the wood. Both plants were on the edge of a small bramble and were lit at times by the rays of the sun. Especial thanks to Paul & Jane F for finding the plants and meeting me at this site. I was glad to get a few pictures but had to darken the exposure -3 and a third to show the voilet in the white lip of the flower. Butterflies seen 4 Speckled Wood, 2 Peacock, a Gatekeeper, 3 Meadow Brown and 2 Large White.

No comments: