Wednesday 24 July 2024

Breydon Water 'canteen' of Spoonbills & Broad leaved Helleborines

On Saturday 20th July, I went to Breydon Water and from the hide I countered 23 Spoonbills on the lumps plus 2 Great- white Egrets on the estuary, but there was no sign of the Ibis. Memorably called a Cantten of "Spoonbills by Rob H.! I ventured out in the early evening to count the local Broad leaved Helleborines but I could only 6 plants, well down on last year's tally and disappointing, but all were tall, lush and vibrant plants, with 5 within cages either side of the path and 1 growing just outside a cage. It is vital this precious plants are protecetd from being nibbled/ eatenby Muntjac Deer which are prevalent and I will speak again with the owner to try and increase management so we can provide better conditions for this species to thrive and increase in. numbers. I have already cut back bramble bushes in the area.

No comments: