Wednesday 24 July 2024

Creeping Ladies Tresses

On Wednesday 17th July after work, I left at 2pm and drove up to North Norfolk and I walked up to the spot for the Creeping Ladies Tresses which was roped off along the right side of the path. Over shadowed by Pine trees, I counted a tally of 36 Creeping Ladies Tresses plants. Tiny little white orchids, similar to Autumn Ladies Tresses and I trod carefully as I looked around and focused on a few plants. These were a new Orchid species for me and they were quite wonderful! As I walked to the beach, I was delighted to see a few c8 Little Terns and the odd 3 Common Tern. Turning my attention to the Dunes, I eventually found 54 Marsh Helleborines, there was a green/ brown 'beetle' near the top of 1 Marsh Helleborine, that I identified as at home a Cockchafer, c aeruginosa. As I walked back, initally through the Pines, I saw a medium sized glossy white egg shell, about 4- 5cm long, I wonder which species, Wood Pigeon perhaps? Checking back home that seems to be a correct ID for the eggshell. Also, a nice pink flower was seen by the side of the track. Not sure what that was (a pic is included below). POSTSCRIPT Thanks to Jane F Id'd as a Broad- leaved everlasting Pea.

No comments: