Monday 11 December 2023

Not happy

After a reasonably successful trip to Thorpeness I drove down to Minsmere RSPB solely to pick up the Suffolk Bird Report for 2022, initially I couldn't find it in the shop but staff were able to show me the one place where I had not looked, I thought I had scoured the shop thoroughly...but apparently not! Having successfully purchased that plus some cards and the "Friends & Neighbours' calendar. The rain sodden environment meant I beat a hasty retreat to the car, to check the report, initially all was well with my first check for the Black Guillemot and was pleased to see I had been credited for my efforts in initially looking for this bird at Lowestoft and writing the description, although Jane had famously found it, when I had to answer an urgent call of nature behind a nearby bush at Ness Point. Also, very pleased to see my picture of the bird reproduced as well. In all, I had 10 pictures published in the report including in old Voous order (none of this new evolution sequence for me!) Red- throated Diver, Shag, Knot, Bar- tailed Godwit, Pacific Golden Plover, the aforementioned Tystie, Caspian Gull, Red- rumped Swallow (although not the wing stretching picture I expected which I thought was a better and more dramatic photo), Lesser Spotted woodpecker and juvenile Green woodpecker, which was pleasing. More than I was expecting as I am limited with the time I can be out due to work and often bad weather when off (re: past 2 weekends constantly raining being a case in point. But the final and damning travesty of justice that despite my initially finding the Westhall Road/ later Wissett Way Waxwings, just off Hollingsworth Road at Gunton on 17-23 December 2022, no mention of my name afterwards but that of a different observer, who I know had twitched the birds after I had first put the news out! Actually, to have complete justice my name and James W's names should have been included, as I was the first to find the 13+ birds and then James joined me and we jointly found a further 10 birds totalling 23 in all. After my find of the inital 13+ Waxwings, I had immediately spread the news via Whats App groups, including the Lowestoft Lounge Lizards, Suffolk BINS (Bird Information Network services) and the Thursday Clubbers Group. I had also tweeted the information out too. I even kept all these groups regularly updated on subsequent days (visiting early mornings before work) as to their movements too. Don't forget, I had been previously checking this area over the previous fortnight on an almost daily basis to see if any Waxwings would turn up here. The non inclusion of my name is perplexing because I specifically submitted these records to the local recorder and 2 local members of the SORC (Suffolk Ornithological Records Committee) Committee, even also submitting a description accompanying and photos of the birds, too. One always hopes one can find good birds and goodness knows it is hard enough to do that, but at when you do find a rarity/ies, I at least expect to properly and fairly credited with the find. It won't undo the damage done, but I will be asking for the error to be corrected in the following year's report with a statement correcting the error & the record credited fairly to the original finder/s. I'll be making sure my Red- backed Shrike, self found, at Corton Old Sewage Works this year is submitted and I got pictures of that one, too.

No comments: