Tuesday 26 December 2023

Christmas Treats

A slightly delayed start to Christmas Day, I started at Hamilton Dock where again the GND had done a bunk but looking from the old Coastguards I could see a Duck on the sea by the rocks area, I saw Andrew E & we both made our way to ness Point proper and indeed it was female Common Scoter close in but against the light seen just off the sea defence rocks just south of the compass. Sad to see 5 plates had been vandalised and removed hopefully for full restoration. Groups of 4, 3 and 2 Brent Geese flew south close in too. I decided to follow the Scoter as I knew if it swum north the light would impove and indeed it did as I photogphed from the NE tip of Ness Point. As I followed the Scoter, I saw a lone Purple Sandpiper stood on the defence rocks near the north- eastern tip and I paid homage to this bird, my first Purple sand seen this winter. I also checked around Lake lothing and Oulton Broad area but apart from a sheltering Little Egret in the alcove in the lee of a bay and 2 Little Grebes on Oulton Broad viewed from the Wherry, little else was seen. I did however take a few pics of the Bee Orchid rosettes at the Lowestoft Cruising Club grassy area. Mid afternoon following a tweet from Jane F, I drove immediately down to Hamilton Dock and initially couldn't see the GND but then I saw it, the fine Great Northern Diver swimming out of Waveney Dock and it slowly swam closing, diving many times, twice catching fish including 1 large flounder it had difficulty initially swallowing. It then came even closer but by this time the light was fading and it started raining, time to go but a great end to the festive treats for the day!

No comments: