Tuesday 30 May 2023

Deepest Suffolk goodies

Having seen a tweet from Jane F, it seemed if they had gone on holiday to the south-west devon or Cornwall maybe because they had been posting pics of a Marsh Fritillary butterfly but incredibly they were in Suffolk at Market Weston Fen. So on bank Holiday Monday 29th May I made my way just after midday to the Fen which was easily located. On the journey over I saw a Cuckoo fly out of a tree. Jane had told me the butterflies were on the marsh just past the field with the cows and to look amongst the buttercups. I saw a lady already photographing something. No sooner had I walked over and within 10 minutes I had zoned in on my very first Marsh Fritillary butterfly. It spent a lot of time flying around the buttercups either side of the path. We were joined by Jeremy G and soon a further 2 Marsh fritillaries were seen. In a large rectangular area with electric fence, 3 Southern Marsh Orchids seen and by the start of the path an Early Marsh orchid seen. Travelling on further south-west, I parked just past a bridge over an old disused railway line. Walked down to the track and turning right before the bridge, I walked for a mile down the track, it was muddy duting the first 100- 300 metres, then through a wood then skirting a field until I saw a single post with lots of arrows on it. One didn't point right but I walked right for a further 1/4 of a mile and then on the left I could see a field with cages and white flag markers, housed some superb Greater Butterfly Orchids all just about to flower but not flowering. Also in cages, further left were super Fly Orchids, all marked by red flags.

No comments: