Sunday 13 November 2022

Trio of Red- rumped Swallows at Walberswick

On Saturday 12 November, I was delighted to hear that the trio of Red- rumped Swallows were still at Walberwick harbour having been seen in the area over the previous 2 days, so after the first tweet I headed staright down to Walberswick harbour car park and immediately saw a line of 5 birders looking south. I soon spotted all 3 birds initially quite distantly but they gradually flew closer giving reasonable middle distance views. They were seen above a large conifer and appeared to be hawking for insects over Walberswick village. By 8.25am they had drifted south so I drove out and back through the village and by the Green, some cars had parked up and birders looking south. I parked up and amazingly we saw the trio of Red- rumped Swallows perched on the wires they were constantly preening but we had cross light and as I edged closer I needed to get to the other side for much better light. I retread my steps and walking across the Village Green I approached from the other side and the light was much better, it was perfect in fact. By now, the 3 Red- rumps had rested up and were hawking around the Green and just east of us. David W, Matthew D and Paul & Jane F as well as Jon B & John G turned up and we saw one bird flying past the moon. Using my 100- 400mm was not just enough zoom for the flight shots. But they soon came to rest on the wires again and I was able to get a little closer without disturbing them and they were busy preening again, they rested up for a further 10 minutes before habving another fly around before they settled on the wires again for just 5 minutes before they they flew west at 9.30am. We heard Ed Sheeran was filming on Southwold Beach so parking in the car park I had paid for 3 hours at the Walberswick Harbour east end, I saw a couple of tents Enterprise Rent-a-car vans and one big lighting rig and resting on the most easterly of 4 chairs was a very relaxed ed Shheran with a shock bright ginger hair and his arms resting behind his head. Some security guards spotted me and he was soon moved before I could get a record shot!

No comments: