Sunday 13 November 2022

LEO and Firecrest

On Sunday 13th November, a tweet stating Josh had a LEO on Gunton Warren had me parking up 20 minutes later, by the Warren, I walked down the cliff and saw Matt S and as we looked up the slope a chap was looking from the top, he must have disturbed the LEO from the bush as we saw the fine Long- eared Owl fly out, darker and browner than SEO with more rounded wing tips than SEO and noticably orange primary patches, with heavily streaked body and finely barred underwing wing tip. We then saw it fly again for 10 seconds as it flew north- west and out of sight obscured by vegetation. We searched along the top cliff and Hubbards Loke and the Shelter belt by Dip farm to no avail. I then left Matt who was going to Walberswick hoping to catch up with the Red- rumps, I tackled Corton Woods, where along the edge I failed to see Fireccrest where Josh had seen them but I heard both Green Woodpecker and Great- Spotted woodpecker. As I looked around the pond, I could hear a Firecrest calling and I started pishing and a fine Firecrest popped out of the bush just west of the pond, my first of the year. Several Long- tailed Tits seen but little else. Looking around Corton OSW, I heard and saw a Grey Wagtail fly south over the OSW complex. There were 2 big puddles just by path running past the compound and towards the cliffs and it was attracting a lot of common birds including 2 Song Thrush, 8 Greenfinches, 2 Robins, 3 Chaffinches, a Meadow Pipit and a female Linnet all bathing. Sadly looking into the light so no pics. Walking around and back 2 Collared Doves joined them and a Blackbird bathing in the dyke. a charm of 15 Goldfinches also seen, nice to see so many birds. Unsurprisingly, Corton churchyards was quiet as a female Sparrowhawk shot towards me and flew south, a trio of Long-tailed Tits hid in the bushes. A tweet stating Rob Wil had a Siberian Chiff- Chaff south end of Flycatcher Alley I parked along Gunton Cliff and saw Josh we looked over the trees bordering the south side of the Oval and heard the lost chick call but also the more typical Hweet call of a Chiff- Chaff, we saw the aforementioned bird it was very pale below but when we saw it in good sunshine it showed an olive back, so it was probably an intermediate bird and not a Tristis. Several flocks c30 x2 of dark- bellied Brent Geese flying south, including a large flock of c100 Dark- bellied Brent Geese also flying south.

No comments: