Sunday 13 November 2022

Mega dip day but Crimson Speckled was nice

On Saturday 29th October, I drove down to Aldeburgh and walking down to the Martello Tower, just 20 minutes after first light I was extremely disappointed (to say the least) to hear the Alpine Accentor not only wasn't showing (I'd missed it in the gloom by 20 minutes) but it had flown off high to the west, it never came back. Black-tailed Godwit was seen and a Purple Sandpiper flew onto a wooden groyne, around 300 metres south of the Tower. I then cut my losses and went to Hazlewood Marshes which had some nice birds, including a Greenshank flying west and then it flew back onto the estuary. 4 Bar- tailed Godwits seen plus up to 3 Water Pipits and a fine Osprey seen perched on the first of 3 short posts sticking out of the water just south of the hide. I raced back to Ness Point after Rob Wil had found a Crimson Speckled and he had very considerately arranged some sticks in the form of an arrow pointing out exactly where this moth was, clinging to a Buddlea, but I was fortunate that James C, Rob H, Chris & Alison A were there to point it out to me. The following Friday, I missed the chance to go for the AA at BP, Norfolk too.

No comments: