Sunday 14 August 2022

Lesser Emperor then a Flycatcher fest at Fisher Row

On Sunday 14th August, I headed up to Filby Broad and from the Boardwalk, I noted Red-eyed Damselfly, plus a male Black- tailed Skimmer, several 3 Male Migrant Hawkers and after 20 minutes a fine female Lesser Emperor flying around hunting particularly by the edge of reedbed on the left. not a lot seen from Ormesby Little Broad, save for a male Migrant Hawker.. I then drove over to fisher Row and from the car park took the path bordering the field with the Tin Hut just to the left of St. Michael's Church. In the field I saw a Green Woodpecker and a 2nd Green Woodpecker flew into the very large Oak tree. A Great- Spotted Woodpecker seen too. and in the large Hawthorn bushes bordering the west side of the bush I spotted 1st one Spotted flycatcher and then Julie arrived and we saw 2 Spotted flycatchers. Julie spotted a fine Red Kite wheeling around and then it flew north. I spotted a Buzzard later too. After Julie left, I spotted the Pied Flycatcher fly down from the hawthorn bush further back and then later saw it fly over to the sycamore ( seeing its cream/ white belly. I was standing under! I looked up and could see it clearly above me but it had sadly gone after I had received my camera. Phil D arrived and Phil spotted a Sparrowhawk flying over. We saw the 2 Spotted Flycatchers in the 2 Hawthorns west of the field and we then spotted a female Blackcap, a rather showy Lesser Whitethroat, a female Whitethroat and later a male Blackcap. Walking back to the car park, a Buzzard flew north- east, a Buzzard also seen flying north over Oulton Playing field too.

No comments: